Saturday, January 30, 2010

Week 4: Video Tools for streaming comments

I took at look at this tutorial this week because I was having trouble adding video to dreamweaver. I found it useful to look through all the different sites that you could upload a video for free. I think people are most familiar with You Tub but Viddler and Blip TV are growing in popularity. I like Viddler because you can add comments to the move and tag them to certain spots in the movie. This is great for education purposes. In some situations using teacher tube might make people more comfortable with the video because it is supposedly for education. As far as the video streaming tools go, honestly I never thought about the difference between hosting and streaming. From what I can tell, hosting makes the video searchable and people can give feedback. Streaming is a direct link. I've used jing before to screen capture and send coworkers the link. It is a great way to communicate visuals without clogging the inbox with big files. Lastly, the You TUbe download tools section hosted a number of resources. However, I don't think it is right to take a video off of You Tube without permission. I guess if you had approval to take the video you could use these tools. This was great because all this time I thought you could right click, save target as, and download any video. I went to You Tube and sure enough I could not find a video where I could do this. :) I leran something new all the time!

1 comment:

  1. Interesting. There's a lot that goes on to get a video up on a website/blog that we might not appreciate when all we do is drag and drop a clip from out desktop to iWeb. There's a "where" and a "how" part of the equation.

    The "where" part is literally where is the media file that you want to look at? Using YouTube, the media file lives in a folder on a server run by YouTube. With our iWeb/MobileMe sites the video file also lives in a folder in a server associated with our MobileMe account. When we email a video file (not recommended) the file is copied from our computer into the email message and then ends up on the computer of the person we're sending the message to.

    The "how" part is how we view the video. YouTube (Viddler, Blip.tv and many others) use Flash to create a player that we can watch on the service's website or can be embedded to our website. In this case the "how" and where are completely separated from each other. This is different from how we watch videos that we drag and drop onto our MobileMe/iWeb blogs. iWeb/MobileMe use Quicktime and the viewer is built into iWeb, no embedding. Right now Apple (quicktime) and Adobe (Flash) are battling it out because almost none of the mobile smartphones use Flash. All I know is that with videos longer than three-minutes I always recommend using YouTube (viddler, etc), because there's no waiting for the video to download before you can start watching it.

    Watching a video off of the web is usually called watching a "streaming video." If one is creating a video "streaming" usually means that viewers on the web can watch the video in realtime as it's being made, just like "live TV."

    There's lots more when it comes to the whole permissions thing....

    ReplyDelete